• 3rd Floor, Maddox House,
    1 Maddox Street
    Mayfair, London, W1S 2PZ
  • +44 (0) 207 118 8005

Other Business Visas

Tier 5: Youth Mobility Scheme

If you are between 18 and 30 years old and want to live and work in the UK, you can apply for a Tier 5 visa. This will cost you £208 in order to apply. With this visa, you will be able to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. You can be self-employed or be an employee in most places, but you are not entitled to receive public funds. If you turn 31 in the UK, you can stay until your visa expires. While in possession of the Tier 5 visa, you can leave and re-enter the UK as many times as you want.


In order for the application to be correct, you must:

– Be between 18 and 30 years old;

– Be from:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan

– Citizens of Hong Kong, Republic of Korea or Taiwan, must have a certificate of sponsorship, which is a reference number that contains personal information and details on the job that you will be doing.

– Have £1,800 in savings (£1890 from July on) and be able to prove this by showing a bank statement;

– Show the following documents:

  • Current passport or other valid travel documentation
  • Passport-sized colour photograph
  • Tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you need to take the test

You cannot apply for the Tier 5 visa if you have children who live with you or if you have children you are financially responsible for.

How to apply?

You need to apply online on the Home Office website, unless you are a national of Cuba, North Korea or Zimbabwe, in which case you will have to download the application form on the Home Office website and apply in person.

You will need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken in a visa application centre.

Applicants from Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan, who have received their certificate of sponsorship, must apply within 3 months after they have received it.

How long it takes for the decision to be made depends on the country you are applying from.

Bringing in dependants

It is not possible to bring in dependants or other family members to the UK. They have to apply separately.

Extending your visa

It is not possible to extend your visa. When it expires, you will either have to leave, or apply for another visa.

Visit visa

If you want to come to the UK as a tourist or to visit family or friends, you may need a visit visa. There are several kinds of short visitor visas, depending on the reason you are coming to the UK for:

  • Tourist;
  • Business;
  • Prospective entrepreneur;
  • Student;
  • Child;
  • Parent of a child at school;
  • Family;
  • Sports;
  • Entertainer;
  • Marriage;
  • Private medical treatment;

It should be noted that all these visas are for short term stays, in most cases this is no longer than 6 months. If you want to stay longer, you may have to apply for another special visa.

With this visitor visa, you will only be able to act like your visa stipulates. You will not be able to reside permanently in the UK, have access to public funds or work in the UK.


You only need to apply for a visitor visa if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, unless you plan to get married in the UK, in which case you will also need a visa if you are an EEA or Switzerland national.

You must be able to prove that you can support yourself for the duration of your trip and that you are able to pay for your return or onward journey. You can do this by showing bank statements or recent payslips.

The application must be made at least three months before you decide to leave for the UK, and the decision generally takes three weeks, but this may vary, depending on which country you are applying from.

Documents you need to provide are:

  • A current passport or other valid travel documentation;
  • Two passport-sized colour photographs;
  • Details on where you intend to stay and other travel plans So it is best not to pay for accommodation or travel until your visa is granted.
  • If you are from a country where you have to take the test, you will have to show your tuberculosis test results

You must leave the UK when the visa expires.

How to apply?

You must apply online, unless you’re a national of Cuba or North Korea, in which case you will have to apply in person. You can apply online and find the relevant application forms on the Home Office website. Fingerprints and photographs must be taken at a visa application centre in order for your application to be correct.

Extending a visa

Some of the visitor visas are open for extension, but this can only happen from inside the UK.

Bringing in dependants

When you have been granted a visitor visa, it is not possible for you to bring dependants into the UK. They will have to apply separately for their own visa.

Latest News

Senior Tory argues students should be exempt from immigration cap

The former Conservative deputy Prime Minister, Lord Heseltine has told the BBC in an interview whilst attending the Conservat Oct, 14, 2014

Entrepreneur Visa – Key legal changes and decisions from the summer of 2014

  On the 10th July 2014 the Secretary of State introduced restrictions on in country applications from mig Aug, 20, 2014

Political Changes to Article 45

The free movement of economically employed workers and their families is established in Article 45 of the Treaty of the Funct Aug, 15, 2014

What would be the impact of the United Kingdom’s new rules regarding the UK’s Investor Visa?

Nowadays, if an individual wishes to come to the United Kingdom for a business matter, he can apply for a Tier 1 visa. For th Aug, 04, 2014

Non – Custodial Sentences in Immigration Law

It will take nobody by surprise when completing a UK visa application that the form requires them to divulge their criminal h Jul, 24, 2014